Friday, April 9, 2010

viscom2: final statment


i created my info-graphics by researching what i would be interesting facts about my subject, wrestling. i chose the ncaa national tournament as my main idea an then found lots of facts about it and its participants throughout history. My most interesting facts about the tournament ended up not having so much to do with my icon set. how was i suppose to use wrestling objects to portray individual cities? in order to most successfully incorporate my icons into my graphics i decided to use my trophy as the most winningest team.

when i was first told that i needed to incorporate temporal, spatial and numerical comparison information into our graphics i was excited because i wanted to pack these three things into one graph. what i didnt realize was that i could do so and still have such a simple graphic. with my main info-graphic about the number of national titles each time has won, i chose to display my temporal information by setting up a line graph to show which team had won which year. I also showed space by setting my icons up on a map of the united states and i compared numerical information by showing a comparison in the number of rings around each icon. i also showed this through scale and hierarchy.

to gain sensibility in typography i spent a lot of time looking through different magazine articles. i looked through mostly gq, details and sports illustrated to find articles whose topics were similar to mine. i looked a lot at how they designers expressed meaning about the content through their typography. when looking back at my use of color i was mainly using it for aesthetic purposes, i could have better incorporated them by having them function as a measure of hierarchy or as and identification of something. i think i overall used hierarchy pretty well within my infographicss. in my first graphic i used a combination of scale, quantity and positioning on the page to convey hierarchy to the viewer. when designing my info graphic i wanting to use some kind of compositional element to further my design. i thought if i had a bit larger top margin on the page i could use that space to fill with a graphic to create even more engaging information graphics. the majority of my compositions where based on my margins and placeent of info graphics. i thought by using my margins to place graphics and images it would allow for a more engaging spread, not just consistancy in white space throughout.



No comments:

Post a Comment